The legendary Barbara Mandrell returned to the Grand Ole Opry stage July 30 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of becoming a member. Barbara Mandrell, who retired from performing in 1997, rarely makes public appearances and only sings at church, felt touched to be back onstage. “50 years. Not everybody gets that blessing,” Barbara noted.
Barbara Mandrell had a stellar career in the 70s and 80s. She was just 23 years old when she became a member of the Grand Ole Opry in 1972. From that moment on, she owned the country charts. With hits including “Sleeping Single In A Double Bed”, “I Was Country Before Country Was Cool”, “If Loving You is Wrong (I Don’t Want to be Right)”, Barbara became a country music powerhouse. Pair that with her variety show Barbara Mandrell And The Mandrell Sisters, she reached an even wider audience. “So many would say things like, ‘I never listened to country music, but now, boy, I’m watching every Saturday night and I love it,’” Barbara said of her show.
Before Saturday’s show, she observed Carrie Underwood‘s soundcheck with admiration. “She has been such an inspiration to me and so many others that stand on the shoulders of great female artists like her,” Carrie said. Barbara enthusiastically supported the all-female lineup performing that night, which included Underwood, CeCe Winans, Suzy Bogguss, and Linda Davis. “I already feel on top of the world. I feel the deepest of gratitude and excitement because I am such a huge fan of these ladies,” remarked Barbara.
Listen to the best of Barbara Mandrell below! Follow the Grand Ole Opry on Facebook and Twitter for updates on who’s performing there next.
- DYNAMIC COUNTRY ARTIST AND PRO BASEBALL PLAYER BRYAN RUBY DROPS HIGH-OCTANE NEW SINGLE, “BASEBALL COUNTRY”
- INDIE COUNTRY MUSIC UP ‘N COMER SETH ALEXANDERINDIE SET TO RELEASE NEW SINGLE
- BRANDON BLACKBURN RELEASES COUNTRY COVER OF SKID ROW CLASSIC”I REMEMBER YOU”
- ERIN DUVALL RELEASES A TIMELESS MOTHER’S DAY SONG, “TO BE HERE”
- DARK AMERICANA ARTIST LISA DE ANGELIS RELEASES SINGLE AND MUSIC VIDEO “MY SISTERS BLUE SUITCASE”Alt-Country Musician Spotlights Overcoming Personal Challenges
- ALLISON ASARCH RELEASES COUNTRY COVER OF HOOTIE & THE BLOWFISH’S “ONLY WANNA BE WITH YOU